We use your Personal Information only for providing and improving the Site. By using the Site, you agree to the collection and use of information in accordance with this policy.
Please read this privacy statement carefully.
Privacy is very important to Medtronic LABS (“Medtronic LABS”). We also understand that privacy is very important to you. This Privacy Statement tells you how we protect and use information that we gather through Medtronic LABS website. Please note that Medtronic and some of its affiliates operate other websites. This Privacy Statement does not apply to situations where we have notified you that an alternative privacy statement applies, nor does it apply to other Medtronic websites. We encourage you to review the privacy statement posted on other Medtronic websites when you visit them. Medtronic LABS website and this Privacy Statement are intended for a global audience.
Note: Medtronic LABS is and operates independently of Medtronic plc and its affiliates, which operate Medtronic’s business operations. Privacy statements for Medtronic plc and its affiliates can be found at https://www.medtronic.com.
We recognize that data protection is an ongoing responsibility, so we will update this Privacy Statement in the event we undertake new processing practices or adopt new privacy policies. We encourage you to review this Privacy Statement each time you visit the website.
Please read our Terms of Service to understand the general rules about your use of this website. You may be subject to additional terms that may apply when you access particular services or materials on certain areas in this website, or by following a link from this website.
Who Are we?
Medtronic LABS is committed to protect your Personal Information and will be the data controller of your Personal Information collected and processed for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement.
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU?
The information we receive, and how we use it, depends on what you do when visiting our website or using and/or subscribing to our services such as contacting us, or subscribing to our mailing list. We collect and use non-Personal Information (information that does not identify you personally) differently to your Personal Information.
Personal Information is information that can specifically identify you.
WHEN YOU VISIT OUR WEBSITE
The security of your Personal Information is important to us, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
When visiting our website, we only collect strictly necessary personal information from you. This may include aggregated data that enables Medtronic LABS to measure website performance.
You have the option to contact us via our Tell us about yourself form. By visiting our website and potentially contacting us, we may collect Personal Information such as your:
- first and last name
- e-mail address;
- IP (Internet Protocol) address when such address is associated with a specific user;
- your personal interests for potential (future) participation to in Medtronic LABS programs;
- your company / organization name
- other information you choose to submit via that form.
WHEN YOU CONTACT US / JOIN OUR MAILING LIST
For the purpose of contacting us via the Medtronic LABS website, Medtronic LABS may process the following type of Personal Information about you:
- Contact details, such as your email address, name and surname;
- Your company / organization name
- Your personal interests for potential (future) engagement with Medtronic LABS.
For the purpose of joining the mailing list via the Medtronic LABS website, the following types of Personal Information may be processed about you:
- Contact details, such as your email address.
HOW DO WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We collect Personal Information about our users in two ways:
- when you enter Personal Information on certain pages of the website. For example, you may join our mailing list or complete a contact form in order to tell us about yourself
FOR WHAT PURPOSES DOES MEDTRONIC LABS USE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We may use the information that you have shared with us through this website and relevant services (other than sensitive information, which is discussed separately below) for the following purposes:
- to respond to your requests;
- to provide the services or information you request;
- to manage our relationship with you and facilitate any necessary follow up (e.g. by storing relevant information and preferences for a reasonable amount of time);
- to contact you with information that might be of interest to you – see further the Marketing and Education section below.
Medtronic LABS may also use your Personal Information to the extent necessary to achieve the following legitimate interests, so long as compatible with your rights and expectations of privacy:
- for analytical purposes in order to research, develop and improve programs, products, services and content
- to anonymize your information by removing any personal identifiers (your name, e-mail address, etc.) so that it may be used for other purposes. In this case, the anonymized information would no longer identify you and may be treated like other non-personal information. For more details please see the relevant section below.
- to enforce this Privacy Statement and other rules about your use of this website
- to protect our rights or property
Medtronic LABS also has legal grounds to use your Personal Information:
- as necessary to protect someone’s health, safety or welfare; and
- in order to comply with a law or regulation, court order or other legal process
We may also process your Personal Information for the following operational purposes:
- To track and manage compliance approvals and violations;
- For activities to monitor and maintain the quality or safety of our products and services
- To conduct audits and perform troubleshooting activities of our websites, products, and services
- To detect and protect against security incidents and deceptive, malicious, or fraudulent activity
- To ensure our website, products, apps, and services function as intended, including debugging and repairing
- To comply with a law or regulation, court order or other legal process
- Comply with laws including those regarding transparency, data subject requests and the management of training on the safe and effective use of our products
- In the event of a legal claim: for the establishment, exercise or defense of a legal claim.
WHAT IS SENSITIVE INFORMATION?
Some types of Personal Information are sensitive information. Sensitive information is Personal Information revealing or relating to your health (such as your device serial number, or the date of an implant), genetic or biometric data, your racial or ethnic origin, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life or sexual orientation, political opinions or trade union membership.
This website is explicitly not intended to collect such information.
Non-personal information is information that cannot identify you or be tied to you in any way. Therefore, the non-personal information that we collect through this website does not identify you as an individual person, and will not be linked to you. It may include information such as the following:
- the type of web browser software you use (for example, Internet Explorer)
- the name of the domain from which you access the Internet
- the Internet address of the website from which you linked directly to our website
- the date and time you access our website
- which pages you have visited on our website
- the geographic location of the server you use to access our website
- the search terms you use
- the links on which you click
- Personal Information that has been made non-personal or anonymized (i.e., information that no longer reflects or references an individually identifiable user)
If you visit our website to read or download information, such as information about a Medtronic LABS program, we may collect certain non-personal information about you from your computer. This information is collected from your computer’s web browser.
If you only read or download information on our website, we will only collect your Internet Protocol (IP) address. We do not collect or learn your name, e-mail address, home address, or other Personal Information about you.
WHAT DOES MEDTRONIC LABS DO WITH NON-PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We are always looking for ways to better serve you and improve our products, services and website experience. We will use non-personal information from you to make this website more useful to visitors. We may also use non-personal information for other business purposes. For example, we may use non-personal information or aggregate non-personal information to:
- create reports for internal use to develop programs, products, services or content
- adapt or improve the information or services provided
- sell information to third parties, or share with third parties not acting under contract for Medtronic LABS
- provide information on how our site is used, such as “traffic statistics” and “response rates” to third parties
DOES MEDTRONIC LABS EVER SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES?
Medtronic LABS will not share your Personal Information collected from this website with a third-party except as described in this Privacy Statement.
We may share Personal Information with any member of our corporate group, including parent companies, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and other companies in which we have an ownership or economic interest for purposes that are consistent with those identified in our Privacy Statement and this Notice. In the ordinary course of business, we will share some Personal Information with companies, such as service providers, that we hire to perform services or functions on our behalf.
For example, we may:
- use a third party service provider to administer certain newsletter or informational mailings that you have signed up for, and provide access to your email address for this purpose.
- use a third-party application or platform to allow us to manage and keep track of our communications with you.
- use our company affiliates to provide services relating to your Personal Information e.g. we may store your information on a secure server based at our affiliate’s site in the United States. For more information on the circumstances in which we may transfer your information to other countries, please see the relevant section below.
In all cases we will not share more information than is necessary, and we will not authorize any third parties to keep, disclose or use your information except to provide the requested services in line with the purposes set out above.
Please note that subject to applicable laws, we may disclose your Personal Information if we believe we are required to do so to comply with any law, regulation, court order, legal or government request.
In addition, we may use and disclose your Personal Information to third parties if necessary to:
- enforce this Privacy Statement and the other rules about your use of this website
- protect our rights or property
- protect someone’s health, safety or welfare
- comply with a law or regulation, court order or other legal process
- investigate or take action in cases of suspected fraud or illegal activities
DO WE TRANSFER PERSONAL INFORMATION TO OTHER COUNTRIES?
In certain cases Medtronic LABS may transmit Personal Information collected on this website to our affiliates or third party service providers in other countries, but only in furtherance of the purposes set out in this Privacy Statement.
HOW LONG WILL WE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION FOR?
We will only keep your Personal Information for so long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we are allowed to use them, as set out in this Privacy Statement. For example, if you tell us that you no longer wish to receive a newsletter from us, we will immediately delete your email address from our mailing list.
ARE THERE SPECIAL RULES ABOUT CHILDREN’S PRIVACY?
We care about protecting the online privacy of children. We will not intentionally collect any Personal Information (such as a child’s name or e-mail address) from children under the age of 16 without the consent of someone holding parental responsibility. If you think that we have otherwise collected Personal Information from someone under the age of 18 please Contact Us.
WHAT ABOUT WEBSITE SECURITY?
Security is very important to us. We also understand that security is important to you. We use industry standard measures to protect your Personal Information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However no website or email transmission is 100% secure and we encourage you to therefore take special care in deciding what information you send or request via email, and take appropriate precautions such as keeping any health information, usernames and passwords you use confidential.
HOW TO CONTACT MEDTRONIC LABS
If you have questions or comments about this Privacy Statement, please Contact Us
WHAT ARE COOKIES?
A session cookie is deleted when you close the relevant website. A session cookie may allow a website to remember you while you are browsing the site, but the cookie will be removed when you log out or close the webpage or your internet browser. For example, a session cookie may be used to allow features such as shopping carts to remember if you have added an item to your cart while you browse for other items you wish to purchase on the website.
A persistent cookie remembers you for a particular period of time. It remains stored on your device or internet browser for that time (it could be minutes, days, months or years) after you have logged out or closed your browser. For example, persistent cookies may be used to remember if you have selected certain preferences on a website (e.g. your language selection).
Medtronic LABS uses both session and persistent cookies. Cookies and other similar technologies are used by Medtronic LABS for several different reasons. Cookies are sometimes necessary for our website to operate correctly and enable functionality such as secure logins to work properly. Cookies allow us to count the visitors to our website and learn how they use our website and its features, enabling us to continually improve the experience. Cookies may also allow us to tailor the content of a website to your preferences. For details on the cookies used on this website by Medtronic LABS, please see below.
COOKIES WE USE
The cookies that may be used on this website by Medtronic LABS can be categorized as follows:
STRICTLY NECESSARY OR ESSENTIAL COOKIES
These cookies allow a website to remember the options you have selected i.e. the user settings in the web video player screen and any customization you have made (such as to font size) or personalization options as part of your online experience. They may also be used to provide certain services that you can make use of, such as video content or allowing comments to be left on a blog.
We may use multimedia players such as Vimeo to deliver special content, such as font types, video clips or animations. In that case local shared objects (known as “Flash Cookies”) are used to recognize your device in order to provide functions such as remembering your settings and preferences. Similarly, we may embed content on the website from our official Vimeo channel which, if incorporated in a webpage, will result in cookies being set on your device by Vimeo.
These cookies are used to manage and improve how the website works and can help us to identify issues you may have with using our online services. These cookies may be used to record visitor numbers and other web analytics metrics. These cookies are not used to target you with online advertising. Without these cookies we will have limited information on how our website is performing and will be less able to make relevant improvements to the browsing experience.
MARKETING, SOCIAL MEDIA CONTENT SHARING COOKIES
DETAILS OF COOKIES THAT MAY BE USED
|Type of Cookie||Cookie||Purpose|
|This group of cookies is set by Medtronic LABS’s Content Management System (CMS) to provide analytic and performance related data for the site. This data relates both to how the site is utilized and to how the site performs.|
YOUR CHOICES/HOW YOU CAN CONTROL COOKIES
You have several options for controlling how cookies are used on your device or browser. You can delete cookies that have already been set, and you can choose to refuse all or certain cookies. For further details on the options available visit www.allaboutcookies.org or http://cookiepedia.co.uk/how-to-manage-cookies.
Please note that if you make updates to your browser or device settings or use an online link to opt out of cookies, those updates only apply to the device where you made the changes. If you disable or block all cookies, then the relevant Medtronic LABS website will not work effectively. In addition, disabling or blocking certain cookies may mean that some features offered by Medtronic LABS may not operate as intended, or you may not have access to certain features or personalization settings.
Most browser settings allow you to adjust your settings to receive a notification when a cookie is being set or updated or can restrict or block certain types or all cookies. For more information please consult the “Help” section of your browser.
Your device settings may also allow you to prohibit mobile app platforms (such as Apple or Google) from sharing with Medtronic LABS certain information obtained by automated means.
OPTING OUT OF SPECIFIC COOKIES
You may also opt out of specific cookies directly with the provider of the cookie. For more details, please follow the links below:
SOCIAL MEDIA CONTENT SHARING
Facebook Social Plugin:
If, at any time, you have requests or queries concerning this policy please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
EFFECTIVE DATE AND CHANGES